Tuesday, August 2, 2011

festival dressing

Soon I’ll join the masses in the mud at the Oppikoppi festival in Northam. I’m not usually a keen bean when it comes to these weekend trips; don’t get me wrong, camping was a big part of my childhood and I have no problem with a bit of mud and a lot of wet wipes. I just never enjoyed packing for these gigs – the whole bohemian/free-spirited look holds little appeal to me, the girl whose closet is home to dresses a plenty, but holds not one pair of jeans. Being new to Jozi city, I decided to take a chunk of change from my already humble bank balance and buy my golden ticket to the circus.

But until now, I’d been ignoring the hurdle that is my festival wardrobe. After scouring my trusty friend – the fashion blogosphere – for tips and tricks on non-conformist festival dressing, I realised that not only will my dresses do just fine, but I have no need to own a pair of jeans, hiking boots and a windbreaker.

I’ve put in an order for a trusty pair of wellington boots, which I plan to wear over my opaque stockings and a pair of printed knee high socks. These are both fun to wear and functional, as a precaution to the snakes that allegedly roam the camp grounds.  Among the booze, tent pegs and energy drinks, I’m also packing in a small variety of headscarves – the mud I can handle, the greasy hair look, I can’t. 

A few other not-so-necessary, but crucial, items on the never-ending Oppi list are: facial wipes, an oversized chunky knit jersey, a variety of bad-hair-day-saving headgear, large round sunglasses, a wicker bag to hold my cameras, Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream and Lip Protectant, and a moon bag straight from my mom’s cupboard [or a thrift store] neatly strapped around my waist to ensure a completely hands-free, four-day party.

I reckon I’ll go through my three-night stay in the dirt and cold without a single outfit resembling those hippy themed looks worn at the famous Glastonbury, Coachella and Edinburgh festivals. Then again, I might just wear the same dress and jumper all weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment