Friday, September 16, 2011

Black and white.


 
My first year of varsity has certainly opened my eyes to the dynamic couples there are out there. From the oddly matched couples – like a 6ft tall guy with a 5.4ft girl (I didn’t see that coming) – to the Cinderella-type unions, where both partners are perfect looking and perfect for each other. However, it’s the somewhat ‘new’ (well, to South Africa, anyway) interracial couples who get us looking back discreetly over our shoulders.

A walk in the park or a picnic with your partner shouldn’t attract much attention, right? Well, at my varsity, if a couple is from different races, they’ll definitely be the entertainment feature of the day! A robbery or a shootout could be happening simultaneously, but people would give the interracial couple all the attention.

Mixed couples aren’t that new to our shores; we’ve seen many interracial couples grace magazine pages, like Kim Kardashian and Reggie Bush, or Seal and Heidi Klum, and even local celebs. But why are we so fascinated by this?

I must admit, when I see such a mixed couple I always smile to myself. On some occasions I try sneak a picture – for matters unrelated to stalkarism! One would think it’s a celeb walking past the way my heart smiles. But, call it fascination or simple curiosity, we’ll never stop staring.

No comments:

Post a Comment