Friday, September 9, 2011

Who am I?


I went for an interview at our campus radio station to be a news reader there. I was nervous, but answered all the questions perfectly in terms of current affairs. But at the end of the interview, I was asked: “Who are you?”

I froze. Those three seconds seemed like hours. I don’t know who I am! My friends and family have described me as ambitious and organised – but I’m not too sure that I know who I am. What are my dreams and ambitions for the future? Where do I see myself in five years’ time? Those questions seemed impossible to answer.

I took to the internet to Google my symptoms. But the more I searched, the more it seemed like I was clinically depressed! But how? Everything in my life is going well.

The next day I visited the varsity psychologist. To my utter relief, she said there was nothing wrong with me, and taking the time to “find myself” was perfectly normal. “You’re going through a process of self-discovery,” she said. Perhaps I should challenge my limits to limit my challenges [a cliché I know] then I’d find myself.
I thought about that all day, and maybe I could change my mindset. I learnt that finding yourself isn’t about reorganizing your goals, but about taking a different route to achieve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment